Did you know? James Peter Callaghan served with the 1st Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force during World War I.… https://t.co/GEzmxnvL4h
Sutherland, Kenneth Alexander (Ken)
- Township: Embro & West Zorra
- Branch: Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry, Royal Canadian Service Corps
- Date of birth: May 24, 1931
- Where born: Harrington West, West Zorra Township, Oxford County, Ontario, Canada
- Date of death: October 4, 2006
- Burial location: Presbyterian Cemetery Harrington West, West Zorra Township, Oxford County, Ontario, Canada
- Wars Served: Korean War
- Years of service: August 1950 - August, 1952; 1960 - 1980
- Country enlisted with: Canada
Ken Sutherland of West Zorra was born May 24, 1931 in Harrington. He was the son of Robert Douglas and Violet (nee Clark) Sutherland and grew up at Lot 31 Concession 1. Ken enlisted in London, Ontario with the Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infanty, with his training being in Portland B.C. From August 1950 to August 1952 he served in Canada and Korea.
In 1953 he married Shirley McDonald and settled at 6 Victoria Street in Harrington. He enlisted again in 1960, joining the Royal Canadian Service Corp. From 1960 to 1970, he was stationed in Ottawa, Germany, and Petawawa. From 1970 to 1980 Ken worked in North Bay, Ontario with the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD). Retiring in 1980 they moved to Cobalt, Ontario and then moved to Woodstock, Ontario in 1998.
For his service in Korea he was awarded the Canadian Korean Medal, United Nations Service Medal for Korea and the Korean Medal from the Korean Government. He also received a special medal called the Canadian Forces Decoration and Royal Canadian Army Service Corp.